The video CV is one of the tools through which job seekers can introduce themselves to companies . It is a video that portrays the candidate talking about their experiences, skills, successes and motivations. Sometimes it is the company that explicitly requests this application method, other times it is the individual who chooses to present himself with a video curriculum to increase the chances of attracting the attention of recruiters.
In this article you will find some tips on how to make a quality video CV and activate the curiosity of recruiters.
The video resume: how to do it? Here are 4 tips for you!
A general rule on how to make a quality video resume , which is really communicative and effective, is to produce authentic content and attention to detail, without neglecting creativity.
To present yourself in an original and effective way through a video CV, therefore, you should take care of various aspects in detail : the quality of the shots, the setting, the contents , exposure and body language.
For this reason we have summarized in 4 simple tips all the information you need to record an impeccable and effective video resume .
1. Use the proper tools for a quality video CV
The first aspect to consider is the quality of the footage . The movie should be professional and at the same time pleasant to watch and listen to. Nowadays we are all used to dealing with high-quality video content. An unstable frame, an unclear image or disturbing audio can represent elements that risk-reducing the communicative effectiveness of your presentation.
So make sure you use the proper tools for shooting and editing:
- a phone with a good camera or camcorder;
- a stable support device for the video camera;
- an editing program to refine the video: online there are many free software;
- a good microphone in case the one incorporated in the phone or the camera does not produce a clean sound.
2. Take care of the setting: setting, clothing and lighting
Dress professionally and neatly , as if you were introducing yourself in a job interview. Avoid wearing accessories that are too eccentric because they can distract attention from the contents of your exhibition. Be aware that through clothing you have the opportunity to communicate information about your style and about some characteristics of your personality, so we recommend that you pay attention to every detail.
Even what you see in the background plays an important role in a video resume. The choice of setting must be made with discretion because every element that appears in the shot can help to convey information about the candidate. Generally, neutral, orderly backgrounds are recommended, consistent with the profession and free from aspects that can distract the viewer.
Make sure that the camera is positioned at eye level and that the environment is well lit . The lights should neither be blinding nor too dim, as well as the light source should not be placed behind you or too close to your face. It would be optimal to have one light evenly distributed in the environment , able to adequately illuminate your face.
3. Prepare content carefully
One of the main tasks to do before recording a video resume is preparing a script with the information to communicate. You need to choose precisely what to say to demonstrate within minutes of being the perfect candidate. In fact, if you improvise or if you don’t have clear ideas, you risk not optimizing your time : usually one or two minutes .
Here is a possible track that you can follow to better structure your presentation:
- Describe who you are : you can start from basic information (name, surname, address) and then mention your training and previous work experiences, especially those related to the position you are interested in.
- Explain why you are the right person : value the hard and soft skills you possess, especially those that may be of interest to the recruiter. Always remember to refer to the experiences that have allowed you to develop the skills you mention.
- Explain why you are interested in the company : talk about your motivation, your values, your aspirations and what you would like to do in your new work environment.
- Thank them for the attention you have been given.
- Invite the interlocutor to take an action , such as to view your CV or to get in touch with you.
In case you have to submit both a paper curriculum and a video CV, we recommend that you not repeat the same content in the two different formats . The two tools should integrate with each other to return as many facets of your profile as possible.
4. Train to expose
Before recording the final version of the video resume, we recommend that you train yourself to repeat the content . Chances are that in the first few takes you will notice things that need improvement in the way you communicate or body language . Here are some guidelines to follow to carry yourself in an adequate and safe way:
- Try to be spontaneous and assume a natural pose : imagine you are at a job interview and contact the recruiter directly.
- Don’t read the track of the contents while you speak and don’t give the impression that you are repeating by heart.
- Try to keep your gaze fixed on the camera .
- Speak at the right speed : neither too fast, nor slow and monotonous.
- You can show your hands , but only if you can control the movements: don’t gesticulate too much, don’t scratch yourself, don’t play with your watch, rings or other objects.
As you may have guessed, recording a good video CV takes effort and preparation.